Lenexa Cemetery was officially established in 1872, in what was then rural Lenexa. The Lenexa Cemetery Association was established at that time to provide the management and maintenance of the cemetery. This association was made up of volunteers and managed by a Board of Directors. These dedicated volunteers took care of the day-to-day operations and record keeping for 150 years. In 1872, the first trustees were Adam Legler, David Brickley and Rosswell Allen. In 2023, pursuant to K.S.A. 12-1401, the City of Lenexa took over ownership of the cemetery and responsibility for the cemetery management at the request of the Lenexa Cemetery Association.